Saturday, June 6, 2009

#11 Summer Ale

Brewing for the second day in a row. Main reason being that I just stepped up a few pieces of equipment to be able to brew 3 gallon batches. So now I'll actually have enough to drink when I'm done! Brewing 1 gal is great for experimentation, but once you have some recipes you want on hand to have for dinner, you never have enough. I also would like a few extra bottles to share with friends for feedback.

So today I'm brewing a summer ale for Amber. It's basically a blond ale, but it will have a bit more flavor and mouthfeel than a blond. After fermentation, I plan on bottling 2gal, then racking the remaining 1gal off to one of my small 1gal fermenter jugs with some fruit, most likely raspberries or cherries, to sit for another week. I want to see how this recipe works as a base for girly, fruity beers. Blonds are definitely not my favorite style... but brewing these smaller, lighter flavor beers will make me a better brewer. It's certainly more challenging to brew lighter, more transparent beers.

(I substituted extract for my pale malt. I still need to build a bigger mash tun to hold enough grains for 3gal batches.)

3gal batch
Est Original Gravity: 1.046 SG
Estimated Alcohol by Vol: 4.38 %
Bitterness: 24.3 IBU
Est Color: 5.1 SRM

Amount Item Type % or IBU
24.00 oz Extra Light Dry Extract (3.0 SRM) Dry Extract 33.33 %
30.00 oz Munich Malt (6.0 SRM) Grain 41.67 %
9.00 oz Cara-Pils/Dextrine (2.0 SRM) Grain 12.50 %
9.00 oz Wheat Malt, Ger (2.0 SRM) Grain 12.50 %

Hops
0.13 oz Magnum [14.00 %] (60 min) Hops 12.1 IBU
0.50 oz Hallertauer [4.80 %] (30 min) Hops 12.2 IBU

White Labs 001 California Ale Yeast

No comments: