Friday, May 1, 2009

#7 Imperial Black Ale version 2.0

So the last batch of Imperial Black Ale is aging nicely, and I'd say it was the first brew that actually came out okay. Overall, I've been pretty unhappy with the beers, but it's not so much the recipes, but off flavors that I'm trying to work out. I cracked open a bottle of the Shaky Graham's Scotch ale tonight and was very pleased with the lack of off flavors there too. I'm going to brew it again soon, but with more hops. It was a tad on the sweet side even for a scotch ale.

I'm also very happy about the newest addition to my brewing setup. I picked up a small chest freezer from craigslist, and am hooking it up to an external thermostat. I can control my fermentation temps now, and even do lagers if I please :) In another year or so if I can afford it, I'm going to pick up a few small soda kegs and turn my freezer into a homebrew tap system. So I'm all around quite happy it's here :)

So tonight, I'm brewing version 2.0 of the Imperial Black Ale. I wanted a bit less malt body, and a lot more complex hop character in it, so I revamped the recipe almost top to bottom. I now have 4 hops varieties in 9 hop additions, as opposed to 2 hop varieties in 3 additions last time. It's not going to be substantially more bitter, but will be much more complex and interesting, with a much more pronounced aroma.

Imperial Black Ale v2.0
Grains:
40.00 oz Pale Malt (2 Row) US
10.00 oz Caramel/Crystal Malt - 10L
2.00 oz Carafa III
2.00 oz Caramel/Crystal Malt -120L

Boil Hops
0.12 oz Magnum [14.00 %] (60 min)
0.12 oz Centennial [10.00 %] (45 min)
0.12 oz Amarillo Gold [8.50 %] (30 min)
0.12 oz Simcoe [13.00 %] (15 min)
0.06 oz Centennial [10.00 %] (10 min)
0.06 oz Amarillo Gold [8.50 %] (10 min)
0.12 oz Amarillo Gold [8.50 %] (1 min)

Dry Hops
0.25 oz Amarillo Gold [8.50 %] (Dry Hop 3 day)
0.12 oz Simcoe [13.00 %] (Dry Hop 3 days)

Est Original Gravity: 1.078 SG
Estimated Alcohol by Vol: 7.64 %

No comments: